Sunday 29 May 2011

Buster Posey

(Yeah I probably am 4 days too late with this post. So what?)

Having been a Blue Jays fan for the majority of my caring-about-baseball career, I generally don't get to watch National League Baseball all that much. The only full NL game that I've actually watched was the day Stephen Strasburg debuted in 2010, and heck, that was buttloads of fun. But that's about it. I haven't ever even watched an NLDS or NLCS game. Some might call this a travesty or completely biased, and they're probably right. It's just that the National League seems so foreign to me, so I just avoid it altogether.

But today, I'm going to talk about an NL player. He shares first names with an ESPN writer that I cannot stand at all. Yes, he is Buster Posey.

I'm sure almost everyone had heard how he became injured and will probably miss the rest of the season completely. How did you feel when you heard that news? Sad? Sympathetic? Or maybe just complete apathy?

I felt rage. A complete and utter desire to smash my face against my desk. Here's why.



I've recently fell victim to this devilish thing called fantasy baseball. It has taken over every minute of my free time, and to say I'm addicted would be an understatement. I own a couple teams on ESPN and on Yahoo!, and on draft day of one of those teams, I decided to spend $26 on Joe Mauer in a ten-team league.

Yes, it was a mistake, but gimme a break; the guy was amazing in 2009, and I expected him to fully bounce back after a mediocre 2010. Well, he didn't. He sucked for a couple weeks, then went on the DL for some mysterious leg injury, and has no timetable for coming back. FUCK.

So I had a big hole to fill at C, and decided to pick up Mike Napoli of the Texas Rangers. Napoli has tonnes of power and takes a bunch of walks, so he definitely would've helped my team. The lack of playing time for the first couple weeks was a bit discouraging, but come on, Ron Washington has to start playing him more, right? Nope, for the 2 or so weeks that I've held onto Napoli, he had about 10 ABs. FUCK YOU RON WASHINGTON.

But then a miracle happened. Some idiot in my league dropped Posey after a weak, but not completely awful start to his season. I mashed my left-click button, prayed, and, voila, Posey was mine. It felt like a gift from God, himself. Thank you, God.



FUCK.

No comments:

Post a Comment